Neil O'Donnell

Neil O'Donnell

About Me

My photo
Buffalo, New York, United States
Anthropologist, author, certified career coach, and musician who mixes all four interests as much as possible! Senior EOP Counselor at/EOP graduate of Buffalo State College.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Politics in Writing

Hi everyone,

Working on the sequel to PEOPLE OF THE SWORD, I've come to realize just how much I enjoy political intrigue. Political posturing simply makes for good prose. Throw in a coup, add in some elections, a revolt or two, and BAM, you've got plot. OK, for the record, the politics I put into my writing is not meant to criticize anyone or any single party (frankly, both major U.S. parties are providing writers with a lot of material). As an archaeologist by trade, I have a lot of years of history under my belt, which means a lot of references to political action leading to good stories. For those of you looking for writing tips or to write your own tales, politics makes for a good foundation, both for character development and plot. What to expect from my sequel, RISE OF THE CELTS:

1) A military coup
2) Assassination plots
3) A revolution
4) Espionage

Sound like fun? Take care.

Best regards,
Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment